Monday 14 April 2014

Mary and Martha........

This is something else that has really been on my mind, and relates to the previous post.

Take a read first :
 Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”
                                         Luke 10. 38-42

This puts a Holy fear in me. I don't want to become so consumed with so many things to do, that the most important part (spending time with my Father, hearing His words) has no time in my life. There was a time I felt like this. It was non-stop, I would wake up early and already everything would start. Then go to bed very late and have to wake up early again for the next day. I was sooo tired ALL OF THE TIME that even to pick up the Bible / a book to read felt like such a hard thing to do. I was not praying properly or even spending as much time with God as I used to, because I was occupied with so many things!

I had it somehow in my mind that, 'Oh but I am doing things that please God, so I am sure I am close to Him and making Him happy'. Wrong! Above everything else, God wants our heart, mind, body (total surrender), He wants to be our center of attention, NOT THE WORK! The work is an ultimate consequence of our devotion to Him, because when you truly love a person, you desire to please Him and serve Him with all your heart.

You may even serve God a lot, but look at your heart, where are your intentions now? Do you do all these things because it is a 'requirement' and you are afraid of the consequences of not doing them? Or because it is work, an obligation, you HAVE to do them? This is not what God desires. Remember a previous post about True Love? This is what God desires, us to serve Him out of a pure and sincere heart of love towards Him.

This can only happen, when we choose the good part like Mary. Let our time with God always be priority and take up most of our day (does not mean you despise what you have to do, involve Him!). When we do this, all our responsibilities will become a pleasure, and you will find that you are less stressed! ;)

This post is exactly for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment